I love random weekdays off.. They make me happy! Verrrry Happy! As do these moist delicious muffins!!
I had blueberries in the freezer begging to be used so I went on a search and when I came across this recipe I had to give it ago. I hope you enjoy as much as me and my 2 year old daughter.
Recipe as follows:
Lemon Sugar topping
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries ( We used frozen)
- 1 1/8 plus 1 Tsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 TBLS butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup oil ( We used Vegetable )
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Lemon-sugar topping: combine the sugar and lemon zest together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Muffins- preheat over to 375* spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. rinse one cup of blueberries under cold water and dry well. Bring remaining one cup of blueberries to a simmer with over medium heat with 1 tsp of sugar. While cooking mash berried with a spoon until berries have broken down about 5-8 minutes. transfer to a bowl to cool while you prepare batter.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. toss the berries that have dried to flour mixture. Whisk remaining sugar and eggs until thickened about 45 seconds. slowly whisk in the butter and oil until all combined. Using a rubber spatula fold egg mix into the flour/berries mixture. DO NOT OVER-MIX
4. Fill muffin tin about 3/4 full and spoon the cooked berry mixture on top. sprinkle the lemon sugar mixture on top and bake 17-18 minutes until firm. Allow 5-10 minutes to cool before serving!
Recipe Source: Mels Kitchen Cafe