I love corn, I love soup put them together and we have ringing bells. So to my kids, they can be picky.. they complain I dont like .. whatever it is that night I am cooking.. but this soup, they were quiet as a mouse eating and spilling soup along the way.
And.. I did not mention its fresh corn season.. so go grab your corn and come get this recipe!
Recipe as follows:
- 8-10 ears of corn
- 2-3 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbls butter ( unsalted)
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbls all purpose flour
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 2 Med red potatoes, diced * bigger chunks*
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh black pepper and salt to taste
1. Remove corn from 4 corn cobs and remaining corn grate the corn kernels to make a kernel pulp. You should have about 2 cups of pulp. Set aside
2. saute bacon is a heavy saucepan over med heat, until browned and crisp
3. Reduce heat to low adding butter and onions. Cover and cook until soft about 10-12 minutes. then remove bacon/onion mixture
4.Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then sprinkle flour and stir about 2 minutes. Then slowly whisk broth. Then add Potatoes, bell pepper, thyme, bayleaf, grated corn pulp, milk and bacon/onion mixture. allow to simmer 8-10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
5. Add corn and cream and season with salt and pepper, cook an additional 5 minutes and serve!
Recipe Source: A feast for the eyes