What better then to make a special treat on a random Tuesday? I often find that the weekdays can be so redundant! Work all day, pick the kids up, make dinner, do some laundry and homework.. Then its off to bed and ready to start another day. So I decided to throw in doing something fun together by whipping up these scrumptious treats!
Oh how I have been on a search for a delicious cupcake and oh how this one does not disappoint! I mean how can you go wrong with three different layer! Chocolate, vanilla topped with a yummy strawberry butter cream!
I hope you enjoy!
Recipe as follows:
- 1/3 cup unsweetend cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup flour
White vanilla bean cupcake
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted softened butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean seeds
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Strawberry buttercream frosting
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 3/4 cup butter ( This should be at room temp)
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 drops of red food coloring ( this is optional)
1. preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Chocolate Cupcake: In a heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda, then carefully add the boiling water and whisk until bubbling subsides and mixture is blended. Allow to cool. In a separate mixing bowl cream the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla and salt . Add in egg and egg yolk. Blend the cocoa mixture and heavy cream to butter mixture. Slowly mix the flour and blend until mixed.
3. Spoon an even layer into lined muffin tin and set aside
4. Vanilla bean Cupcake: Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add the baking powder and salt about 20 seconds. In another mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla bean until fluffy, In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg whites. slowly combine to cream mixture and add flour mixture.
5. dollop the vanilla bean mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and make in preheated over 15-18 minutes until cooked through. ( once cooked please allow them to be completely cooled before frosting)
1. add half cup of strawberry preserves with butter and mix until light and fluffy, slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla and cream until creamy. Then pipe or frost your cupcakes!
Recipe Source: adapted from Cooking Classy