I needed a side dish to go along with my fabulous tacos and I wanted to give this recipe a try from For the love of cooking.
This rice is AAAAmazing! Its the perfext addition to any mexican meal you may be whipping up!
Recipe as follows:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/4 of a small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1.Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, rice, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir often for 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic, stirring constantly until fragrant about 30 seconds. Usually I will remove my pan from the heat as garlic will burn fast and become bitter.
2. Add in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, once stirred: Turn the heat up to high until it boils. Reduce to low, cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Remove from heat let the rice sit COVERED about 5 minutes then fluff with a fork.
Recipe Source: adapted from For the love of cooking