Nothing screams comfort food like creamy and cheesy mac n cheese!
As a kid I loved the box mac n cheese.. you know the one it the blue box? Well it saddens my heart to say my children wont go near it. But.. It gives me great joy to say they LOVE homemade mac n cheese. Its one of their favorite dishes. This recipe is so easy to make, add some steamed veggies for a complete kid friendly dinner!
Recipe as follows:
- 8oz package dry small elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 heaping cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, (divided)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Combine cornstarch, salt , dry mustard in a medium saucepan. Whisk in evaporated milk, water and butter. Cook over medium high stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to boil about 1 minute and remove heat. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese until melted. Add cooked macaroni noodles. Pour macaroni into greased casserole dish topping with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
3. Bake about 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Recipe Source: adapted from Very best baking