This savory soup is filled with Tilapia, shrimp and veggies in a scrumptious tomato broth!
I didn’t always love seafood, in fact in my high school years and earlier I would not go near it. I am not really sure when I decided to give it a GO.. but boy was I missing out!
Now that I have expanded my edible horizon with those things that swim in the water .. its an unparalleled journey of what I can make with it.
When I came across this recipe from cookin’ canuck I knew I was going to have to give it a try. This soup is so flavorful and you can play around with different veggies to your liking.
Recipe as follows:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 Choyote, diced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp dried red chile flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup vegetable broth or chicken broth will work too
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1¼ lb. firm white fish ( I used Tilapia)
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, shelled
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add in onion, garlic, red bell pepper, choyote and carrot. Cook until fragrant and just tender.
- Add the oregano and chile flakes, and cook for 1 minute. Add in wine, Diced tomatoes and Vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Once broth is simmering dd the tilapia and cook until cooked through about 5 minutes. Add in shrimp and cook another 2-3 minutes.. as shrimp cooks fast. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: adapted from Cookin Canuck